Tell Your Story

Once in a while I come across a social media post where someone shares a childhood memory.  Its heartwarming to know that with all of this technology around us people allow themselves to sit and think without needing entertainment.  Don't get me wrong, I think there are many positive things about technology however I wonder...Are people craving a change?  
Its interesting to observe as well that everywhere I go I see references to vintage and retro.  Stores have opened up specifically to sell collectable clothing, furniture, glassware, and vinyl from the 50s to 70s.  Not unusual with each passing generation, but I am aware that these items certainly provoke feelings and memories and we buy into it because of that connection.  There's that word again...connection. 

I love how 'items' create feelings, jog a memory or bring you back to a moment that you experienced.  Whether they are considered negative or positive they are still memories.  Tea cups are items that provoke a happy feeling in me.  It brings me to conversations around the table, something warm to hold onto, and I love how each is unique.  I still have many on display that I simply can't let go of.  It is in this collection of tea cups, and in our own collection of moments or memories that create our own unique story.  

What stops a person from not telling their story?  From my own experience it certainly is a decision of being vulnerable.  Initially I think to myself, "what would others say about it",  "would they believe me?"  Of course if anyone wanted to know I would share, however what about telling the stories of our ancestors?  What about the excitement of understanding what your ancestors experienced, and how they came out of that experience a better person.  Its a message I constantly return to, especially when I think of my maternal grandparents.  I am one of the lucky ones where my Grampa Barker needed to put thought to paper and shared his story in a book.  What an amazing gift.  Sad and heartbreaking while reading it in moments, but what a legacy he and my Nana left within their community.  I am so grateful for their story for without them I would not exist. 

The stories of our ancestors lives brought us into being, and for that we can all be grateful for.  Even the heartbreaking stories that need a box of Kleenex in hands reach.  Its not easy to open the proverbial skeleton closet, although personally I do encourage it (with some permissions granted or warnings to family)...lol  But I also know its not for everyone.  So when deciding to start your research, wanting answers or wanting to breakdown a brick wall in your family tree, ensure you have the right people in place while doing it.  As a genealogist confidentiality is everything, so yes have the right people in place.

I encourage you to ask the question, do not buy into the "family shame".  The silence of those stories will stifle your ability to move beyond them, and the brick walls of your family tree!  

Am I implying that maybe those brick walls are because there is a hard or unthinkable story?  Maybe, maybe not, but what if?  You will only know if you ask questions.  Do not let the Family Tree define you, simply change the path of its direction.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining in the conversation and offering your opinions and comments on Full Circle. This blog welcomes all thoughts that are respectful, and courteous of others. Any comments that do not reflect this will be removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Connection

Letters from The Trenches